Quote of the Week

"I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work"
-Thomas Edison

Monday, May 17

Feathers and Thunderstorms

So I ordered a bunch of feathers off of ebay, just for fun! They arrived in the mail today and I got straight to crafting up some fun stuff. I bought a set of 12 slightly defective quail feathers for 65 cents. I curled up the sides of the feather with a sharp pair of scissors-light you might curl the end of a ribbon. That hid the ragged edges on the feather. Then I wrapped up a length of fabric to make a little rose. I attatched these both as well as some red dyed fluff feathers to a black felt backing which I stitched around the edges in white to give it some cute detail. I glued on a hair clip underneath, et voila, a cute hairpiece that is perfect for adding some wow to an outfit. While I wore it at the grocery store a man said I looked like a barbie doll. I am taking that as a creepy but nice compliment, haha. Here is the finished product:



I am going to see if I can sell it on Etsy. Maybe I can make some money of these feathers. Place like urban outfitters sell these kind of hair pieces for $25 and up, its insane! I am going to try and sell this one for $7.50, and if there is interest I will make more! It is fun to make these.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/47376258/guinea-feather-and-rosette-hair-clip

Today we had the first real summer thunderstorm in Savannah. It thundered and poured for ten minutes, flooding the streets, and then the sun came out and everything was calm again. It rained on and off all day following that...ruining my plans for sunbathing. I have two more weeks of southern sun to soak up some rays until I return to Seattle. It gets sunny and nice there, but the sun is so much weaker it is hard to get a tan! Anyway, I should get back to my feather crafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment